I recently discovered The Simple Things magazine thanks to my partner. This british lifestyle publication is thoroughly an enjoyable read from cover to cover. Each edition is divided in three parts: dawn, day and dusk and presents various recipes, shops destinations and people. Their philosophy is simple. “It’s about slowing down, enjoying what you have, making the most of where you live, enjoying the company of friends and family, and making simple food for friendly gatherings.”
I stumbled upon French-Canadian chef, Serge Dansereau’s baked eggs in crusty bread recipe in issue 02. I knew right away that this would come in handy; especially with my family over for the holidays. These baked eggs in crusty bread make for an elegant presentation. Served up with a tasty sweet potato hash and breakfast sausages made for a delicious Christmas morning brunch.
- 2 eggs per roll
- Crusty bread rolls
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs of your choice
- Preheat the oven at 350°F.
- Cut the tops off the buns and scoop out most of the soft bread. Brush the inside with butter.
- Set rolls in baking tray and crack in 2 eggs in each roll.
- Season with salt, pepper and fresh herbs of your choice. For this meal, I used fresh chives. Place a bit of butter of butter over the eggs to prevent them from burning.
- Bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the egg whites are firm.
You can also add sautéed, mushrooms, spinach or slices of ham and cheese at the bottom of the roll for additional flavour.